As we are all aware, medical tourism – the practice of receiving medical care outside of one’s own country – is on the rise in popularity today. In recent decades, one of the expanding trends of the globalized world is medical tourism. There was a period in the pandemic when it slowed down, but it picked up speed again with a slight relaxation of international travel restrictions and unmet patient demands for the postponement of surgeries, treatments, and other medical care. The medical tourism industry has seen significant growth in recent years. The Medical Tourism Association (MTA) estimates that approximately 14 million people worldwide travel abroad each year for medical treatment.
It is a fact that the medical tourism sector is expanding due to the high cost of healthcare in developed nations and the ability to develop nations to offer the most affordable care. Numerous potential opportunities are presented to host nations by medical tourism. Popular regions for medical travel are Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa.
To see the detailed benefits, read below thoroughly…
Popular Procedures for Medical Travel
Patients from all over the world are adopting the routes of medical tourism to seek a wide range of medical, surgical, and post-rehabilitation services. Cosmetic and plastic surgery, dentistry, orthopedic surgery, cardiac surgery, oncology, and organ transplantation were chosen as the most prominent healthcare services. In addition, people are becoming more interested in the accessibility of new treatment modalities in some places. The demand for other forms of assisted reproductive technology, such as in vitro fertilization, is also rising quickly. Apart from these, Asian countries are significantly adding a wide range of traditional and alternative treatments to the existing armamentarium.
Factors Affecting The Choice Of A Medical Travel Destination
Choosing to leave your home country for treatment or any other type of care is a challenging task. Yet, people choose to travel for a variety of reasons. The high cost of healthcare, long wait times for certain procedures, the ease and affordability of international travel, and improvements in both technology and standard of care in many countries have all contributed to the growing popularity of medical travel.
The following are notable reasons for the rise in medical tourism around the world:
- 56% of patients want better treatment, while 22% want to pay less.
- 18% seek a treatment option that is not available at home, and
- 10% seek treatment as soon as possible and without waiting in line
It can be concluded that disappointed with the medical facilities or healthcare back home. lack of affordable or personalized treatment packages is the most important factor affecting the medical travel rate in the world.
Other factors are follow-up care, inexpensive flights, a wide range of accommodations options, easy medical visa policy, and provision for the attendant.
Considering all the above-mentioned factors, let us further read the reasons to consider the below-mentioned best & leading destinations for medical tourism…
1. Medical Tourism In Turkey
- Turkey is regarded as the most popular top ten destinations for medical tourism worldwide.
- It offers three key benefits: low cost, high quality of care, and quick access to top-notch medical care.
- Patients can save money in Turkey compared to other countries because Turkish treatment costs are 70%–90% less than those in Europe, North America, and the UK.
- Due to billions of investments, Turkish healthcare services have reached a level of excellence.
- With its own infrastructure facilities, top-notch healthcare services, qualified and experienced medical staff, cost advantages, accreditation & recognition, and government support, it has made a significant contribution to global tourism.
- It provides you with the benefits of geographic location, high-caliber tourism management, and a favorable climate.
- Some of the popular treatments in Turkey among international patients are General and Aesthetic Dentistry, Obesity & Bariatric Surgery, Renal Dialysis, Stem cell & organ transplantations, Psoriasis Treatment, Hair transplants, Orthopedic injuries treatment, Oncology Treatment, Fertility and Sterility, Cosmetic Surgery, and Neurological Disorders
- Turkish medical facilities employ board-certified staff, with more than 35 % of physicians, having their training in Western nations.
- 70+ countries have access to visa-free arrival to Turkey, which is again a big advantage for international patients
- More than 70 countries have visa-free travel to Turkey.
- Numerous hospitals have affiliations with Western medical groups and institutions, JCI, JACHO, ISO, as well as local and international accreditations.
- The best Turkish hospitals employ medical professionals who speak English and are certified by the Turkish Medical Association as well as members of organizations devoted to their areas of specialization.
- Turkey provides low-cost procedures like IVF, CyberKnife for cancer therapy, cardiac surgery, orthopedic surgery, and more, with no waiting periods
- Turkey is also unique among other clinical travel industry objections because the majority of clinics focused on treating patients from around the world by offering free exchange, convenience, and language assistance. It makes patients feel secure and happy.
2. Medical Tourism In India
- India is one of the top international destinations for medical travel.
- Perhaps the most promising country for medical tourism is India, where the number of foreign patients grows by 25% annually on average.
- Many Indian private emergency clinics/facilities have the Joint Commission International (JCI) declaration. It confirms that treatment is consistent with stringent international standards.
- Some of the popular destinations for medical tourism in India are Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Noida, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Goa, Kolkata, and Hyderabad.
- With years of experience in the field, India is fully equipped with top-notch medical professionals offering top-notch medical care. The majority of the healthcare experts staffed in these hospitals in India received their education and training at prestigious international medical schools.
- Doctors in India use innovative techniques to achieve finesse and impression for every medical treatment, which increases the patients’ recovery rate.
- Popular treatments include bone-marrow transplants, bariatric & obesity surgery, eye surgery, cardiac surgery, cancer treatment, gynecological issues, and hip grafting & replacement surgery.
- Treatment costs less in comparison to other developed countries.
- In India, procedure wait times are typically non-existent. Patients can have immediate access to services or surgeries.
- It is now easier to obtain a visa for medical treatment in India.
- The patients can receive post-treatment recovery with therapies like Ayurveda, yoga, and naturopathy
- Since nearly all Indian medical professionals speak English, foreign patients will not encounter communication problems and can unquestionably choose India as their medical travel destination.
- The patient traveling on a medical vacation has the opportunity to see some of India’s most alluring and inspiring locations as well as some scenic wonders.
3. Medical Tourism In Thailand
- Thailand is already a very well-liked tourist destination, and in addition to this, it also has a highly skilled medical manpower that’s been educated primarily in Europe.
- According to official estimates, more than 2 million people visit Thailand each year for medical treatment.
- It is most renowned among patients from the USA, Canada, the Middle East, Europe, Vietnam, and Laos.
- For many years, Thailand has been dominating the Southeast Asian medical tourism industry, particularly in the fields of cosmetic surgery (anti-aging treatments, breast augmentation, facelifts, and many others) and IVF.
- Thailand is renowned for its absolutely massive hospitals, which at first glance resemble hotels more than hospitals. More than 9% of the GDP in Thailand is attributable to medical tourism.
- Thai hospitals charge reasonable fees for medical services. Compared to the United States, Canada, or Europe, fees are 50–80% less.
- Thailand’s private hospitals excel when it comes to medical travel because its care providers are highly skilled in the most notable procedures and treatments.
- Hospitals are also equipped with the most advanced medical technology.
- Additionally, patients rarely, if ever, have communication problems owing to the excellent language skills of the medical professionals working in Thailand’s hospitals that attract medical tourists.
- Thailand has incorporated a number of rare treatments that are prohibited in other countries into its private medical sector. It is an effort to advance its push for becoming a leading destination for medical tourism.
- Another set of restrictions that Thailand ignores is those pertaining to infertility treatments, specifically IVF cycles and donated sperm. Other well-known treatments in Thailand include orthopedic, spinal, and dental treatments.
- Thailand is at the forefront of medical innovation and technological advancements.
- Thailand, with such a high rate of medical tourism, provides the most recent and safe treatments performed by highly skilled and trained doctors.
- In Thailand, even the most complex and multi-stage treatments and surgeries rarely have to wait in long queues.
- The most common reason for medical travel is invasive surgery, and the post-surgery recovery environment is an important factor in choosing Thailand as a medical tourism destination.
- Thailand’s emergency clinics accept foreign patients with little intimation. You simply need to schedule your appearance.
4. Medical Travel In UAE
- The UAE has become one of the most popular destinations for medical tourism in recent years because of its recent rapid growth and accomplishments in medical care.
- It has evolved into a hub for medical travel, especially to Europe and the Middle East (due to proximity)
- One of the key industrial sectors for economic growth in the UAE over the past ten years has been the healthcare sector.
- Due to its high-quality and affordable medical facilities, the UAE attracts thousands of medical tourists.
- In terms of top medical facilities, it came in sixth place globally.
- Dubai and Abu Dhabi are major medical tourism hotspots with a large network of hospitals and medical centers offering the best medical treatments and cosmetic procedures.
- More than 15 hospitals in the nation have received Joint Commission International accreditation.
- In Dubai, cancer treatment, dental procedures for infertility, dermatology and skin care, and orthopedics are the top medical specialties.
- The Dubai Health Authority has established price regulation laws to maintain the reasonable pricing of all hospitals in the United Arab Emirates, which makes it a comprehensive and strong healthcare system.
- In comparison to receiving the same procedures in the US and UK, one can save up to 30–40% on any treatments or surgeries in the UAE.
- The healthcare professionals working in UAE hospitals and clinics received their training at prestigious US and European universities.
- For every kind of medical condition, these healthcare providers are readily available around-the-clock to provide high-quality medical care.
- Patients from all over the world can receive high-quality care owing to the sophisticated infrastructure.
- The majority of medical professionals are multilingual and frequently communicate in English. Additionally, patients from other countries can hire interpreters to help them with communication during their medical journey
- Almost all procedures can be treated right away, without having to wait several weeks.
- Some of the cutting-edge services provided by UAE medical facilities include the excellent use of AI and robotics in surgeries, wireless brain sensors, CRISPR, and the most modern surgical equipment for cancer and other treatments.
- Traveling to the UAE is more convenient than traveling to Europe or America because the visa process is very simple.
- The country has beautiful places to spend some of your best days.
- Medical travelers have several options for receiving natural therapies.
5. Medical Tourism In Europe
- Every year, an estimated seven million people travel to Europe for medical care, ranging from dental, cosmetic, and weight loss treatments to orthopedic, cardiovascular, reproductive, and cancer treatments.
- Considering the well-equipped medical facilities and magnanimous EU funding, Central and Eastern European countries in particular have grown in popularity for health tourism.
- Europe provides access to specific treatments that are not available in their home countries, as well as higher quality and lower cost treatments, as well as the opportunity to combine them with a vacation for rest and recovery in the destination country.
- In order to attract international patients, European medical facilities focus not only on the quality of medical care but also on overall comfort.
- The top healthcare destinations in entire Europe are Lithuania, Spain, France, Switzerland, Hungary, Germany, Poland, Ireland, Belgium, the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, and Greece.
- If you travel to Poland or another EU country, you can be sure that you will receive medical care that is of an equally high standard owing to the regulations and requirements that apply across the entire EU regarding medical procedures and the training and education of medical specialists.
- By combining reasonably priced flights, affordable healthcare procedures, highly-trained specialists, and medical standards comparable to those in Western nations; EU countries are becoming more popular for medical tourism
- Depending on the procedure and its requirements, you can make the most of your trip by sightseeing in the days leading up to surgery or during the recovery period.
- The ease of travel is one of the most significant benefits of being a medical tourist in Poland and other EU countries. You can freely move within the EU and take advantage of convenient rail and air connections between most major cities.
Conclusion & How Can Medigence Guide You To The Best In Choosing The Right Destination?
These countries give you a starting point if you want high-quality medical care without wasting money or giving yourself headaches. So, if you are confused as to which country to go to for your treatment, or you have decided on the country, but are confused about the doctor; you have a one-stop solution- MEDIGENCE.
MediGence offers a wealth of services and Medical Travel is one of them. MediGence can help you in exploring multiple destinations overseas, which are recognized for their highly certified & experienced specialists, world-class hospitals, popularity for procedures, and quality care at affordable prices. In support of our Medical Travel service; keeping your convenience and cost-savings in mind, we have designed uniquely crafted ‘Treatment Packages’ for multiple locations overseas. Once you will book these packages, you will be able to access all the value-added benefits like free hotel stay, medicine delivery, room upgrades, case manager, etc., along with a special benefit of ‘Book with 10% amount and Travel Anytime’.
Apart from this medical tourism service worldwide, we are also providing you an
- Opportunity to connect with renowned specialists while sitting in your home via our Telemedicine platform (online consultation service)
- Avail a second opinion via our ThinkTwice service, where you get access to the board of specialists for your chronic conditions. For this, you don’t need to travel as you will be given two options- Written opinion or Video Opinion
- Once you are done with your surgery or treatment, you can get the post-operative packages, which are exclusively designed for your follow-up care & speedy recovery.
So, do not think anymore! Just take full advantage of our services and help us to serve you better in your needful situations.
Explore our pool of services, countries, doctors, and packages with a zeal to improve your quality of life!